Monday, October 27, 2014

My Amazing Aunt Nancie


This week is going to be one of the most stressful weeks for me this year. I'm now on a plane headed to Chattanooga, TN to attend my Aunt Nancie's funeral.  Nancie lost her battle to pancreatic cancer last Friday around 11:00.  She battled this horrible disease for 2 years and 4 months.  I feel so blessed that she was with us on this earth for as long as she was, it's just difficult to say good-bye. She was an amazing Christian woman, and I have so many fond memories with her.  

I will never forget when she came to Little Rock to meet Reese a few months after she was born.  She brought one of Jocelyn's old Rainbow Bright dolls that I had apparently cut the hair off of when we were little. She told me that Jocelyn had the entire collection and one week when we were visiting them, I cut the hair (to the scalp) on almost all of them and she was so mad.  (I promise I don't remember doing this :)). She had been diagnosed with cancer 5 months before she met Reese.  She sat on our couch and handed me the doll.  She told me something I will never forget. She said, "Kia, life is full of ups and downs, and when you have kids, there are big battles and little battles that you will fight.  However, I want you to have this doll and just remember, life is too short to sweat the small stuff.  When you think Reese has done something awful, stop and think...is it really that bad?"  I will forever remember her words and her advice on letting the little things go.  

We are going to miss this amazing woman of faith so much, but I am so thankful that she is no longer suffering and in pain.  She lived her life while fighting this battle with dignity and grace.  I hope that as I go through life and face the many battles ahead, that I can shine as bright as she did and share my faith in The Lord just like her.

Please keep my family in your prayers as we lay Aunt Nancie to rest.  Also, for my sweet crew at home.  Matt is keeping the kids, as I will be going on to IN for work tomorrow through Thursday.





No comments:

Post a Comment