Sunday, November 26, 2017

My Papaw Caldwell

My sweet Papaw Caldwell went to be with the Lord on November 12. He left this world a little after 4 am on a Sunday.  I thought that was fitting, seeing as how he was a preacher for over 60 years.  Papaw was 81 years old and had just celebrated his birthday at the end of October, which was the last day I spoke with him. When I called him, we talked about how great this life is.  He told me that when he leaves this world, he will leave here being so thankful that he came. He talked about the mountains and the valleys that we’ve all faced and that God always helps us in need. He again told me how proud he was of me (he never hung up the phone without saying that ;) and then proceeded to remind me how much he loved me and my precious family.  When we were hanging up the phone he didn’t tell me good-bye, he said “I love you Kia, and we’ll catch up soon.”  I knew when I hung up the phone that would be the last time I would talk to him.




Papaw battled Parkinson’s for many years, he had chronic kidney problems, and had 20% usage of his heart.  Towards the end of his life here on earth, he became non-responsive and his body just eventually shut down. He was not in pain, as hospice had come in to make sure he was comfortable. 

My sweet sister described Papaw the best. “To some he was the senator. To others the preacher.  To me, he was simply Papaw. The guy who used to keep 15 sticks of unwrapped Freedent gum in his pocket.  The man who used to sing Elvira at the top of his lungs while dancing around the living room. The man who could talk his way out of a ticket without skipping a beat.  The man who knew people all over the world and who told the best stories.  The man who loved my Nana fiercely for decades.  He never missed an opportunity to tell his grandkids how much he loved them and how proud he was of each of us.” 

Sweet Papaw, I know that when you walked through those pearly gates the angels were singing and you were dancing.  I hope they were singing “Leaning on the Everlasting Arms” just for you. We will miss you tremendously down here, but know that this good-bye is not forever.  I look forward to the day when I will see you again...in HEAVEN.  Where there are no tears, no pain, no sorrow.


















I love you Papaw, and we’ll catch up soon!!










No comments:

Post a Comment