Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Moments That Change Your Life

The past few days have been an emotional roller coaster.  Sunday morning, while walking out of church, I received a phone call from my mom.  I couldn't understand her because she was crying so hard.  My heart immediately dropped into my stomach.  She quietly whispered, "Dad had a stroke."  I don't know how many people have experienced a moment in life where you hear news like this, but I literally lost my breath.  I couldn't think, I was bawling and lost all sense of what to do.  I found Kyndall who wasn't out of class yet and the next thing I knew, she, Matt and I were in the car and headed to Rogers.  I was actually packed to fly out for a 6 day meeting in Dallas on Sunday night so I threw the suitcase in the car, Matt put a bag together, and we were gone.  The drive felt like a lifetime and all I could do was stare out the window and cry. 

If anyone knows me at all, my family is my life.  I prayed to God on that drive, that he could take anything away from me...my home, my job, every penny I have...just don't take my Dad.  We got to the hospital and the CAT scan had identified a small blood clot on the left side of his brain (affecting the right side of his body).  It was already beginning to break up which was a miracle...there was no hemorrhaging.  The next couple of days were filled with Echocardiograms, EKG's and tests on his carotid arteries.  Amazingly enough, every test came back good.  Dad is now at home, resting, with no permanent impairments...he is going to make a full and complete recovery.

There have been so many things going through my head.  First, I can't stop crying and thinking about how good God is to my family.  I know that we have been blessed beyond belief with so many things in this life, but for my Dad to have this kind of stroke and to be all right brings me to tears.  He is only 54 years old!!  The doctor and nurses just kept saying how lucky he was and that 80% of people who experience a stroke never walk away without permanent problems.  I know beyond a shadow of a doubt this was not luck, this was our Heavenly Father giving my dad a second chance.  It's nothing short of a miracle and all the glory goes to our amazing GOD.  Second, my heart is so warmed and I (again) get emotional when I think of the amazing friends and family we have.  The Bentonville Church was so good to my parents, people showing up the entire time we were at the hospital. Calling, texting, asking what they could do... showing so much love.  And I personally, could not be more blessed with the friends God has put in my life.  I had two college friends who were calling and texting me before I even got to Rogers.  I can honestly say that I am sitting here crying, thinking about how much you two mean to me!!  You both have such beautiful hearts and while one of you was at the hospital (even before I got there) letting my dad know you were praying for him and leaving a gift basket, the other one was texting me words of comfort that I read over and over on the way to Rogers.  Amanda and Kim, I don't get to see you girls every day, or hardly enough, but the kindness and love you have shown me and my family, will never be forgotten and I love you both with all of my heart!  God knew exactly what he was doing when he crossed our paths 12 years ago. :)

The Honea family, Julianna, David, Joe, all of my cousins, my amazing Aunt Patti and Uncle Jack...so many people who were there (in person or on the phone) through this entire ordeal.  You truly see how much people care when someone they love is hurting.  I am so thankful for each and every one of you and words cannot express how much love I have for you all.  You hear of things like this happening to other people but you never think about them affecting your own family.  My dad is one of the most important people in my life.  He is the most generous, kind-hearted, loving, Christian man I know.  I love him with all of my heart and I feel like I can't give thanks to God enough for saving his life.  As I gave him a hug good-bye, it was different this time.  I hugged him with everything in me, so tight and didn't take for granted his big bear hug right back to me.  It was hard leaving him and my mom today.  But this is where faith comes in...faith that God will take care of them, bless them, and watch over them.  Dad is making some lifestyle changes and I know he can do it because he has my mom standing by his side.  My mom, who is the strongest woman I know.  God has so many more great plans in store for them!

I am emotionally and physically drained, but I could not feel more blessed.  When you are having a bad day, or upset because things aren't going your way, just stop and say a prayer of thanks.  Thank God for the health of your family, for all the people in your life that you love so much, for every single minute you get to spend with them.  Life is short, and I was reminded of that this weekend.  Take some time to tell the people in your life how much you love them.  I know that if I am talking to anyone in my family, in Matt's family, or any of my very good friends, I ALWAYS hang up the phone saying I love you!!  You don't know what tomorrow holds.  Thank God for today and all of your many blessings!!

3 comments:

  1. Kia! I'm so sorry y'all had to go through that! I can not even imagine how hard that must have been! Praise God for saving your wonderful dad! This was a good reminder to me to cherish the ones I love! Much love and many hugs to you! I'll pray for continued healing for your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kia! I'm so sorry and your entire family is in our prayers! I's so glad to hear your dad is doing well, God is so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you, your Dad, your sweet sweet family, and the way you give all the glory to God through this blog. You are (and always have been) a woman of such strength, Kia, and this past week showed where you gather that strength from. I am so thankful to have you in my life and will continue to pray all continues to go His way!

    ReplyDelete