Friday, September 21, 2012

Labor and Delivery

I am finally making some time to write about our labor and delivery experience.  It was a day to remember and goes down in the books as one of the best days of my life. 
 
 
We were to be at the hospital on Wednesday, September 12th at 5:00 a.m.  If you read my post about our night before, you would know that I was very anxious, but even more excited.  Little did I know that my contractions would start around 12:30 in the morning.  They were inconsistent, but began coming about 6-7 minutes apart by 4:00.  Needless to say, when we got to the hospital at 5:00, I was already feeling tired.  (After all, I hadn't slept in almost 24 hours).  I was trying to prepare myself for the long day ahead.
 
 
 
As soon as we checked in, they started my IV and then hooked me up to fluids and the pitocin drip by 6:15.  (One of my greatest fears was the IV - I don't do well with needles, but our nurse, Alicia, was amazing!)  I was dialated to a 2 before they hooked us up to the drip and for the next 4 and a half hours my contractions were increasing, but not unbearable. The staff at Baptist was amazing.  The CRNA came in and let me know I could have my epidural whenever I wanted.  They were so good to continually check in on us.  (They may have been giving us a little extra TLC because Matt knew half of them ;) 
 
 
 
Somewhere around 11:00 (I think I was only dialated to a 3), the contractions began to get much more intense.  I received my epidural (another thing that I was very apprehensive about and turned out to be much easier than I expected) and immediately began to feel the relief.  Unfortunately, after getting my epidural, my blood pressure started to drop and continued to drop.  I was very light headed and dizzy.  They gave me an extra bag of fluids to bring it back up and after a few minutes, it began to regulate.  Although the blood pressure episode was unexpected, all I have to say is thank the good Lord above for drugs!!  I have 3 friends who have recently delivered without the epidural and I must say that you all are ROCKSTARS in my eyes!  I truly can't imagine! 
 
 
After finally dialating to a 4 around 1:00, this is where I spent most of the afternoon.  Thankful for the epidural, I was able to visit with my parents, Matt's parents, and Kyndall for most of the day.  I dialated to a 5 around 4:00 and within the hour was at a 9.  We couldn't believe it!!  Dr. Phillips was called and I began pushing around 5:00.  As soon as I starting pushing, her heart rate started to drastically drop.  I was put on oxygen for the entire time I was pushing.  It was amazing what that oxygen did for Reese, her heart rate shot right back up.  I pushed for about 40 minutes and our little munchkin arrived at 5:43. 
 
 
There is something to be said for the actual 40 minutes of "labor" and then all of a sudden they place this gorgeous baby on my chest and I'm looking at her with tears in my eyes thinking I can't believe I have been growing her inside of me for the last 9 months and now here she is in my arms!!!!  We thank God for this little miracle every single day!!



 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 
 Proud Daddy!!
 
 

 Mimi and Reese
 
 

 Ami and Reese
 
 

 Poppy and Reese
 
 
 
Pawpaw and Reese
 
 

Aunt Bee and Uncle Blake
 
 

Matt and his Mini Me
 
 
 
We are so blessed!!!
 

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing labor stories! Glad everything went well and that her heart rate shot right back up so quickly! That must have been so scary! She is just beautiful! I'm so happy for y'all!!

    ReplyDelete