Thursday, September 22, 2011

Give Thanks

There are so many things that go on in our daily lives.... We all experience ups and downs, good days and bad, and then there are those days/weeks when something happens and you realize how little everything else in your world matters.  This week has been one of those weeks for me. 

As many of you already know, my Dad suffered another stroke on Monday.  This time it was on the right side of his brain.  After running a CAT scan, doctors told him that nothing really showed up and he was free to go home.  Thankfully, that wasn't good enough for him, he wanted more answers.  Dad has had every test underneath the sun run this week...EKG's, MRI's, Heart Caths, Echocardiograms...you name it and he's had it.  To make a long story short, he has complete blockage in the small vessels of his heart and 50% blockage in a larger artery.  His main arteries look good, but unfortunately since the smaller vessels that are blocked are so tiny, we were told he can't have stints or balloons put in.  His only alternative (according to the cardiologist) is to lose the weight and exercise EVERY DAY.  Yes, he can be put on beta blockers and blood thinners, but at the end of the day, it comes down to a complete lifestyle change.

My dad had his first stroke in May of this year.  Since this stroke (only 4 months ago), he has lost over 40 lbs.  He (and my Mom) have truly made a change in their lifestyle and I cannot express it enough of how PROUD I AM of them.  They are on the right track and I know they will continue to succeed with the help of our family and our God.  My dad battles diabetes and the truth is this horrible disease is the cause of everything he has been through over the past 6 months.  This really hits home to me because my job every day consists of talking to doctors about this disease and helping them realize the importance of their patients getting the right medicine and education about diabetes.  Unfortunately, this disease can go "undetected" or diagnosed as metabolic disorder for sometime, and that's what has happened to my dad.  He was fighting diabetes long before he ever knew that he had it and it was affecting his heart and body. 

I write all this because through everything that has occurred this week, I still hit my knees and GIVE THANKS to God.  I believe that there are certain ways we can look at things in life, and I am choosing to look at this as a blessing. 

  • I think it's a blessing that my job consists of dealing with this disease state everyday - I believe God had much bigger plans for me (and those that I love) when he put me in this position @ Eli Lilly.

  • I think that Dad having a second stroke was a blessing.  It was God's way of telling us we still had some things to uncover.  By identifying that these arteries are blocked, Dad can focus on the problem and make even more changes. 

  • I think it's a blessing that Dad has no permanent damage from this stroke - yes, he has a long road to gaining his strength back but should make ANOTHER full recovery.  I know God had a hand in that.

  • I also believe that things such as this occur in our lives to remind us that we need others...and THAT is a blessing.  'Unbelievably Overwhelmed' is a good way to describe how I felt from the phone calls, texts, and facebook messages that my family and I received. I cannot tell you how much strength I was able to draw from reading those or talking to friends who care.  When you know people are praying for someone you love, it gives you a sense of peace.  It's a very humbling experience to be so vulnerable and to NEED others so badly.  I am grateful for friends and family who will never know how much their kind words meant.

I've said this before...FAMILY is the most important thing to me in this world.  Every single night I thank God for the amazing family I am a part of.  I thank him for parents who taught me that when things are good, or when things are bad, we GIVE THANKS to Him.  I am so thankful for a brother and sister-in-law who were able to be with my mom at the hospital to support her when my sister and I could not be.  I am thankful for church friends who lift my family up in trying times.  I am thankful for the Honea family, who are the best friends in the world and I love them with all of my heart.  I am thankful for grandparents, aunts and uncles who made a two hour drive one-way to spend an hour with my Mom and Dad.  And I am SO VERY thankful that my dad is now at home, resting, and that God is continually watching over him.

My prayers to God every single day, for the rest of my life, will be to help my Dad's heart to stay stong and for him to not have to experience anymore strokes.  I hope that each one of you has a faith and hope in God when struggles occur in your life.  I truly can't imagine getting through tough times without the Lord and his word.  Over the past week I've drawn strength from these verses...

"Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to fall." - Psalms 55:22

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." - Phillipians 4:6

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous hand.  - Isaiah 41:10


Again, THANK YOU to so many of you who have been praying for my family.  I would ask that you continue to do so.  Our God is an awesome God and I GIVE THANKS to Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment