Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Baby Diary: My First Trimester

Today is Saturday, January 7th, and I think that the last time I was this excited was when my amazing husband proposed to me almost 4 years ago.  I just took a pregnancy test and it says POSITIVE!!!!  I can honestly say that I suspected that I was, this past week while in meetings in Dallas.  I was so tired and sleeping almost 8 hours a night, feeling fatigued all day.  I've also been going to the bathroom non-stop.

Matt is at work right now and won't be home until 7:00, but I went today and bought a soft and sweet, white baby gown...put it in a gift box with the positive pregnancy test and wrapped it.  It's sitting on the kitchen counter and I cannot wait for him to open it when he gets home!!

I think I am still in a little shock, thinking that this is too good to be true!!  I will feel much better when I call our doctor on Monday and schedule a blood test and ultrasound for confirmation!!!

Sunday, January 8th -  I have been a roller coaster of emotions today.  My Papaw Garner is in ICU after having a massive heart attack on Friday morning.  As of yesterday, he was stable and we were just waiting to hear what kind of damage had been done to his heart.  Today, he has taken a bad turn and they've had to put him on a ventilator b/c he can't breathe.  He's also on a feeding tube and fighting some kind of infection right now.  We don't know how bad it is yet, but I am sitting on go, ready to jump in the car whenever I get the call.  I have been crying all day.  I know that my hormones are starting to go crazy right now, and that's partially why I'm a basket case.  Of course, we aren't telling anyone about the baby until we're further along, but I can't help but want to whisper in Papaw's ear and let him know that his oldest grand-daughter is expecting!  My prayer tonight is that God's will would be done.  Papaw is 89, an elder in the church and a soldier of Christ who has lived an amazing life.  He knows exactly where he'll spend eternity, and that is with the Lord.  Whether God chooses to take him, or whether he makes an amazing recovery, it will be His will. 

Today, I told Kyndall about the baby.  We were shopping at the mall (totally Garner style) and I was asking her what her vacation plans were for the rest of the year...then told her to mark off the later part of September because she'd be having a niece or nephew.  Her reaction was priceless!  I could tell she was thinking about Landon and Brandi's baby (due in July) and calculating in her head, then suddenly she stops and says OMG!!!!  We gave each other the biggest hug with tears in our eyes!!! 

Matt and I were going to tell my parents next weekend when I went to Rogers, but I broke down and told them tonight.  I've been so emotional and was crying very hard when I heard the news about Papaw beginning to get worse and I just blurted it out!!  Nice, I know!!! I so wish I could have seen their expressions!  However, I think this was good news that they needed to hear after such a long day at the hospital.  We are waiting to tell friends and extended families until we are 12 weeks.  I want to be out of my first trimester. 

Tuesday, January 10th - Well, today we went to the doctor's office so they could take a blood sample to confirm the news.  And, it's true!!  My blood work showed that we are DEFINITELY PREGNANT!!!  My HCG levels were at 214. So according to the range of numbers, I think I am about 4 weeks along.  I called Matt immediately, then told my Mom, Dad and Kyndall.  (The only people that know right now).  I think it's slowly sinking in!!  My plan is to go home this weekend and see Papaw. My mom was so sweet, already talking about how we can go shopping as soon as I get there.  I know I don't need anything right this minute, but it's still exciting to think about.  :)  To celebrate, Matt and I went to dinner at Copeland's tonight!!  I'll go back to the doctor on Thursday for more blood work and to check progesterone levels. 


Bad lighting, but the day we "officially" received the good news!


Wednesday, January 11th -  I have been thinking about all the things that I want to do/buy before we even begin to start on a nursery. My brain doesn't stop!  Here's what I'm thinking... 1) Re carpet our bedrooms  2) Buy a Keurig machine (I don't really drink coffee, but I have a feeling I'm going to start after this bundle of joy gets here)  3) Buy a new, NICE, BIG camera to capture all those unforgettable moments 4) Buy a Dyson vacuum - Matt says why in the world would we buy a $500 vacuum for our housekeeper...I kind of agree, but I just really want one.

I doubt all these things will be done, but a girl can hope right? :)

As of right now, I feel good.  I am going to sleep earlier at night (between 8:30 and 9:30 usually) but still have plenty of energy to get me through a full work day.  I hear this will change very soon...praying that I'm one of the lucky ones who has no nausea!!  :)  On a very happy note, I came home today to these beautiful flowers and the sweetest card from my husband.  He sure knows how to make this girl smile!! :)



Thursday, January 12th - Matt had to work today, so I headed to the doctors office by myself to get the blood work done this morning.  I have been extremely emotional and upset about Papaw G.  I will be in my car driving and just burst into tears.  I really lost it last night and just bawled my eyes out.  I know this is HORRIBLE for the baby.  The fact that he/she can detect the stress I feel is not good.  I really am working on this and have been praying that God would give me the strength I need right now.  I want this baby to be a beautiful, HEALTHY baby and that all depends on me.  As for blood test results...my HCG was 593 (which the nurse said is great!!) and my progesterone levels are greater than 45, which is what they want.  We go back in two weeks for our first ultrasound.  I should be around 7 weeks by then.  So exciting!!

Today was also the first day that I had a wave of exhaustion hit me.  I worked in Hot Springs this morning and then grabbed a salad, came home to eat, and almost fell asleep while eating it.   I layed down for about 45 minutes and was OUT.  Afterwards, I went back into the field to see 3 more doctors and felt a little more energized after moving around.  Once again, I am thankful for the flexibility of my job!!!  If I need to take a nap, I can squeeze one in and still get my work done :)

 Friday, January 13th - Matt and I drove to Rogers today (I ended up taking the day off).  I really just needed to see Papaw.  I have been praying for strength and although it was so difficult to look at him with all those monitors and tubes, I truly felt God's strength and comfort.  It was a very long day but we had a couple of bright moments where we got to share our good news.  Matt and I told my sis-in-law Brandi that we were expecting and she was super excited!!!  It was just the three of us in the truck getting back to the hospital after grabbing some lunch (her parents had the girls this wknd).  I am so very excited because she is due July 13 and I will be due towards the end of September!!!  I also told Mamaw today while sitting in the waiting room of ICU.  I thought she could definitely use a bit of good news and I was right.  She was very excited for us and just hugged me!!  We also told Landon (very quietly) while at Mimi's Cafe on Friday night.  He thought I was kidding and then jumped up to give me a HUGE hug!!!  I just love how excited and supportive they all are!!!

Papaw is not doing well and we feel there will be some difficult decisions to make tomorrow, but tonight while it was just Matt and me with him in ICU, I leaned down and stroked his hair, with tears streaming down my face, and whispered to him that we are going to have a baby.  He is very heavily sedated and I don't know if he heard me, but I felt so at peace with being able to share that "little secret" with such a great man in my life. 

Saturday, January 14th - Today was one of the hardest days of my life...Papaw Garner left this world to go live with the Lord. 


Friday, January 20th -  Oh how this girl is exhausted...emotionally, physically, and mentally.   This past week has been spent celebrating Papaw Garner's life with so many friends and family members.  It was a great week, despite the circumstances, and I think it's safe to say that I am looking forward to a little bit of normalcy after such an unexpected and busy start to the year.  I have continued to feel good...just extremely tired.  I am very excited for our ultrasound in 6 days!!  I'll be 6 weeks on Sunday!!


Monday, January 23rd -  Well, today has been one of those days that I haven't had any abnormal little pains and I'm still not very nauseous.  I immediately called my sis-in-law, Brandi, who is 15 weeks along and asked if this is normal.  She assured me it definitely was.  She said I would have days that I didn't feel pregnant at all.  I hope she is right!  For some reason, I am most worried about weeks 6-9...I have had so many friends that have miscarried around this time.  I know that God is in control and we pray everyday for a beautiful, healthy, baby...but I just can't help and be anxious to get out of my first trimester!!!


Thursday, January 26th - Today was our first ultrasound!!!  WOW!!  All I can say is the miracle of looking at this little being on the screen and seeing it's heartbeat inside of you is like nothing I have ever experienced in my life!!  We have 6 ultrasound pictures on our fridge and I can't quit staring at them!  We have a video of the heartbeat and we can watch the little "dot" on the screen flicker away.  There's something about seeing that heartbeat that makes this all so real!!!!  According to the doctor/ultrasound, the heartbeat was beating 122 bpm (very good) and our little bean is approximately 5 mm in size.  Our official due date is September 17!!  I am pretty proud of myself bc I was exactly right!!  We are almost 7 weeks!!  We couldn't keep it a secret anymore from Matt's parents.  We called and talked to them on speaker today and I think it's safe to say they are SUPER excited!!! We also told Emily and Jack who are thrilled for us as well!! 


 Our prayer is continual, in that God would bless us with a beautiful, healthy baby!! And here he or she is.... 





Proud parents to be!!! :))

Sunday, January 29th - Today we are 7 weeks!!!  Here are a couple of things I am noticing.
  • I am nauseated in the morning when I get up, but as soon as I eat something I feel 100% better.  This happens through most of the day...if I feel a spout of nausea coming on, I eat. 
  • I am going through unsweet decaffeinated tea like it's my job!!  I drink it all the time, at least a pitcher a day.  I can't seem to get enough of it.
  • My go-to in the morning for bkfst has always been PB toast and chocolate milk.  However, I can't really do the chocolate milk anymore and the toast makes me gag.  Chocolate fudge pop-tarts are my new thing!
  • I am trying to stick to healthy little snacks such as fruit snacks, raw carrots, white cheddar cheez-its (probably not that healthy), and string cheese.
  • All my clothes still fit perfectly!!  (as they should, according to all the books I'm reading ;)
OH!!!  I have to say what I think we are having...I think it's a BOY!!  For some reason, everyone that knows thinks it's a boy. The chinese calendar thinks so too!!  I know we've got a while, but I can't wait to find out!!


Sunday, February 5th - Today we are 8 weeks pregnant!!  This week has been good, until today. While getting ready for church, the nausea and fatigue hit me like it never has before.  I have slept for most of the day, but still feel so exhausted. I am really hoping this week shapes up to be a little better than today, because it's a busy one.  On another note, I bought the Boppy Pillow this week because I haven't been sleeping good.  A good friend of mine who just had a baby recommended it.  I am SO use to sleeping on my stomach therefore I am trying to get in the habit of sleeping on my sides, and it's just not very comfortable to me. I will say that the pillow has helped a little bit.

We shared our great news with Nana and Papaw this week!!  Since we got to whisper it to Papaw before he died and we told Mamaw, I really wanted to share it with Nana and Papaw too!  They were "over the moon" for us.  I think everyone is pretty excited that Landon's third and our first will be so close together. 

I've randomly been thinking...I hope I will be one of those gals who doesn't have to buy a lot of maternity clothes and can just buy bigger sizes of what I wear now.  But...just in case, I have been eyeing these adorable maternity jeans at Mason's in bootcut and skinny!!







This weekend, I went and bought a Pandora bracelet...one that I can personalize throughout the next nine months.  I've never really had a reason to get one, but thought this was a neat way to celebrate each milestone as the months go by. So for the month of January, this is the charm that I picked out.

Adorable and perfect for the occasion!!

I will be very happy to be through the next four weeks, as I hear from others, they can be the worst.  I am slowly fading, as the fatigue continues to set in and worsens throughout the day.  We have an appt. tomorrow to meet our OB who will be delivering the baby.  So we'll update then!  As for now, this kid is going to bed.


Monday, February 6 - Well, we are back from meeting our OB, Dr. Eddie Phillips.  With just one interaction, I can tell that we are going to love him!!!  He was very personal and the staff was so friendly and great.  I had all the routine stuff done...Pap Smear, urine sample, 6 vials of blood...yes, I said 6!!!!!  (If any of you know me, there is nothing that I hate more than someone poking me with a needle.  UGH!!!  I was a big girl though and I'm very glad it's over!)  We also had our second ultrasound and saw that beautiful little bean again.  He/she is growing like a weed and was 1.21 cm with a fast fluttering heartbeat.  We will go back in 4 weeks to actually listen to the heartbeat, Matt and I can't wait!!!  Our prayers continue for a beautiful, healthy baby!!


Wednesday, February 8th - The fatigue is definitely setting in.  I came home today at 3:30 and layed down only to JUST NOW get up!!  That's a two and a half hour nap!!  Normally, I would be worried that I wouldn't sleep tonight, but that just doesn't happen anymore.  As soon as my head hits the pillow I am out!! 

A few more people to add to the "we shared the big news with" list.  Today, I had lunch with Kim and then called Amanda and sent a message to Lauren to share our exciting news!!  These are three of my wonderful girlfriends from college who I will always love!!  I was very excited to tell them!!


Saturday, February 11th - Last night, we shared our exciting news with the Honea's!  They are family to us, so of course I couldn't wait much longer to tell them!!  Also, I got a call that all blood tests and other tests came back normal today and so far everything looks good.  We had dinner with Sarah and Clint tonight before the concert and also shared with them our news!  They (just like everyone else) are very excited for us!  I know I said I was waiting until 12 weeks to share the news, but there are just some people in your life who are so important and deserve to know before everyone else.  I have enjoyed sharing our news with all these wonderful people. 

Monday, February 20th - Just a little update on our past weekend in Monroe....  We shared our big news with our sweet nieces and nephews.  (Sam Wyatt is a little too young to get it, but Olivia Kate and Jack Henry were over the moon.)  After they finished arguing over what it was going to be...boy or girl, we had fun thinking of names.  I can't say that Rufus or Rapunzel will be at the top of our list, but they had a lot of fun "helping" us be creative. 

My sis-in-law, Emily, is having a sale on TONS of baby clothes today.  She was so sweet to let me have first pick on everything before she priced it all.  And let me just say, these aren't your regular play clothes...we are talking about smocked dresses, Kissy Kissy pajamas, Zutano, Mini Bowden, Janie and Jack brands, a LOT of nice stuff!!  Of course, we have no idea what the baby is yet, but I grabbed about 20 outfits, 6-12 months (10 for boys, 10 for girls).  Just having those hanging in the guest bedroom closet/soon to be nursery has me SOO excited!!  We are 10 weeks today!!

Oh ya, this past week, we shared our exciting news with our extended family.  My aunts, uncles, and cousins. 


Sunday, February 26th -  Well, today we are 11 weeks!!  This week has been full of sharing our news with a couple more special people.  I told Julianna, one of my best friends in the world, on Thursday.  I have been dying to start telling my friends here in LR, but for now, she's the only one.   :)
Matt and I were in Bossier City this weekend, visiting Clay and Katie and their precious 7-month old, Annah Kate.  We were excited to share our big news with them too.  Katie was so good to take me to a couple of FABULOUS boutiques in Bossier City/Shreveport on Saturday.  Needless to say, when I find out what we are having, another trip to LA will be on the calendar so that I can RAID some of these adorable places!!

Side note: This has been the first week that my pants have started to feel a little snug.  I've been weighing myself on the scale at home and it "says" I haven't gained any weight. I will be anxious to see what the doc says in a week when we go in for our 12 week appt.  But, I want to note for myself that week 11 is when the ole' size 2 pants have become too tight.  Looks like next weekend will be full of some shopping for this growing belly!! 


Sunday, March 3rd - My mom just left after an amazing weekend.  I've already done a post about this, but wanted to write a little more.  My mom has the most giving heart of anyone I know.  She took me shopping this weekend for clothes because mine are obviously becoming a bit tighter.  We actually picked up a pair of maternity shorts (super cute and love them) for when we go to FL.  The other things I bought are mostly just in bigger sizes.  I just feel so blessed to have a mother who loves to help with anything she can.  We had a great time going to Pickles and Ice Cream (an adorable little boutique where I want to get our baby furniture) and looking around.  I am LOVING being able to share this experience of having our first baby with my amazing Mom. 

We are very excited because tomorrow is our 12 week ultrasound!!  We're praying that everything looks good and we're looking forward to sharing our news with the rest of the world this week!! 


Monday, March 5th - Today we had our 12 week ultrasound and we were able to hear the baby's heartbeat.  142 bpm...I'm guessing BOY!! :))  It was so amazing to listen to that swooshing noise and know there is this sweet little being growing inside of me.  We go back April 2 to get another ultrasound done and to do more blood tests.

My blood pressure was 97/67 (yes, it's always a little low) and I have gained 1.5 lbs the first trimester!!  Here is my 12 week picture.


 Although I've only gained a pound, it's crazy how this little munchkin is making my belly expand!


 

2 comments:

  1. Loved the post and we're SO excited for you and Matt!! I hope the next 2 trimesters go as well as the first one did. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so cute, Kia!! I love your thoughts going through each week, and you look beautiful! Can't wait to find out what you're having!

    ReplyDelete