Monday, January 16, 2012

Papaw Garner...A Spiritual Giant

As so many of you know, Matt and I spent the weekend in Rogers.  We went to spend time with Papaw Garner in ICU.  Friday, he was not getting any better and the doctors offered us one more option.  We had them put in a swan catheter to take one last look at his heart and lungs.  The massive heart attack he had did major damage to his left ventricle and therefore his heart couldn't pump the blood away from his lungs fast enough, causing them to fill with fluid.  He was having his lungs suctioned out many times a day and Saturday morning, we began to see kidney failure.  He had been on the ventilator for 6 days and Saturday morning, Mamaw, my Dad and my Aunt Nancie, made the decision that we would turn off all the machines.  There are 5 grandchildren, and we had all been able to spend some time with Papaw at the hospital except for Jocelyn.  She was driving from TN and would be to Rogers by 3:30.  We waited until she could be there, then we all left his room while the nurses took him off of everything.


I personally have never spent time in an ICU.  I don't like all the tubes, machines, etc.  I didn't like seeing my Papaw like that and we all knew he didn't want to spend his time that way either.  We all love him too much to see his quality of life be so little.  My Papaw was one of the strongest Christian men I have ever known.  Even in the hospital, before he took a bad turn on January 7, he would have my Dad read him his Bible.  His heart was full of love for God and love for so many others.  He was so proud of his family and loved us so much.  I will never be able to say all the good things I want to say about him.  I have always and WILL ALWAYS be so proud to be a Garner!! 


I love this picture!!  It was taken at Thanksgiving in 2005.  Papaw has this picture on his nightstand :)


Christmas 2007











Christmas 2008


August 2009 - Our Wedding


October 2009


December 2010


September 2010


October 2011


Christmas 2011


Christmas 2011 - the last picture we all took with Papaw


After the nurse had removed all the machines from Papaw, our family went back into the room to be with him.  We all saw him breathe his last breath within 4 minutes.  It is amazing how peacefully he went and still heavily sedated with no pain.  He was surrounded by so many who love him, and although there were lots of tears, you could feel the peace and comfort of the Lord in that room.  I know that there were angels in there with us, I could truly feel them.  Papaw went so quickly, which tells me he was ready to go.  He has spent his entire life on this earth dreaming of this final journey he would take to be with our Lord.  To watch him breathe his last and then go home gives me such peace.  He is home, getting to see his parents, his brother, so many good friends, and most importantly Jesus. 

This week will be tough.  We will have his visitation on Tuesday and then a private burial for family on Wednesday and the Memorial service Wednesday afternoon.  The hardest thing for me right now is watching my Mamaw and my Dad.  Dad was so close to Papaw, and Mamaw was married to him for 59 years.  I can't imagine saying good-bye to the man you love after so long.  I know, however, that God will give all of us peace, comfort, and strength during this time.  Papaw led an incredible life and I am so very blessed to call myself his granddaughter.




2 comments:

  1. Kia, I hope you know that we are praying for you and your family right now. I know that everyone that has had the pleasure of meeting your Papaw was blessed by just that. He was an amazing man and as you said, "A Spiritual Giant!" We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia, I am so sorry for your loss. He left behind a wonderful legacy that I know you will continue to spread. Wish I was there to give you a big hug! Love you!

    ReplyDelete